teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Yuma QAL - Quilting My Yuma


Welcome to the final week of the Yuma QAL, and it's about time I shared with you how I've quilted my Yuma quilt.

Let's start with a glimpse of my quilt back, and as you can see, my dogs love to fight on it.



Enough fluffiness, for now, let's get straight down to how I quilted it - here's an outline of my quilting design.



It's really incredibly simple - just 10 straight lines and 5 squares, I've drawn each line in a different colour and added arrows to show you the direction I quilted each line.  The main box in the diagram is the original quilt size given in the quilt pattern available free here @Gotham Quilts, and I've continued the lines and boxes out into the border I added.

I drew the lines onto the quilt sandwich using a heat erasing pen.



I quilted my Yuma myself on my Juki TL-2010Q sewing machine, using a 4.0 mm straight stitch and Aurifil 50/2 #2600-Dove thread.  I could have stitched in the ditch, but I didn't, I've actually sewn 1/8" away from the ditch always in the neutrals and never in the colour fabrics.



A few close-ups pics of the quilted front:


and then the quilted back:


What is it with dogs and quilts?!!!


And finally, the binding is machine sewn to the quilt front then hand sewn to the back.


My intention one day is to hand quilt each of the coloured triangles - embroidery thread colour is yet to be decided, probably I'll do it all in a silver grey, but there's a slim possibility I'll do each colour row in a colour that matches the leader colour triangle for that particular row.  Right now my daughter, Flicky, is sleeping under the quilt, so I'm holding off on the hand quilting until September when she's back in St Andrews.

I did prise the quilt from Flicky for long enough to add a personal label, wash and dry the quilt and do its final photo shoot, I'll share those pics with you later in the week.

YUMA QAL POSTS & GIVEAWAY
 Here's a list of all my #YumaQuilt posts:
Wednesday: Log Cabin blocks
almost there! - Quilting My Yuma
and finally - Yuma QAL - A Finish

If you want to join in all you need to do is download the free Yuma Quilt pattern here and be sure to share your work on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc using the hashtag #yumaQAL.  Even if you're not making your own Yuma click through to the Instagram #YumaQAL and take a look at what everyone else is up to.

YUMA QAL SCHEDULE
Each week another blogger will be sharing their #YumaQAL experiences with you.

17 June - kick-off blog post on Gotham Quilts
week of 22 June - made by ChrissieD click here to find all my Yuma QAL posts
week of 29 June - Faith and Fabric
week of 6 July - Daydreams of Quilts
week of 13 July - Lisa in Port Hope
week of 20 July - Sunflower Quilting
week of 27 July - Roar Haus
week of 2 August - Gnome Angel
10 August - Life Under Quilts
12 August - closing blog post on Gotham Quilts and start of linky party
19 August - linky party winner(s) chosen






Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)
 

Disclaimer: Gotham Quilts supplied the fabrics used at a discount price to mbCD otherwise this post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs and opinions are my own.

Click to follow me on







1 comment:

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.