teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Friday 26 June 2015

Yuma QAL - Finished Quilt Top With Borders


I just can't believe I'm at the end of my #YumaQAL week already, it's flown by, and the best bit is I'm totally in love with my #YumaQuilt top, yay.  How's your week going, have I tempted any of you to Quilt Along?!!!

If you've been following all week, then you're probably here to see this pic of my finished Yuma Quilt top.


Don't know about you but it reminds me of mountain ranges and snow peaks.


The quilt top should measure 64" x 64", but with the piecing issues, I told you about yesterday mine came in at 62.5" square.

I wanted to make it larger, so I auditioned different border sizes, here's how each looked.

4" visible border (cut 4.5" strips)

5" visible border (cut 5.5" strips)

6" visible border (cut 6.5" strips)

7" visible border (cut 7.5" strips)

Still uncertain I trialled a few cornerstone options using some of my extra pieces cut for the quilt top.

 HST cornerstone continuing main quilt top diagonal

HST cornerstone going against main quilt top diagonal

4 piece cornerstone

Right away I knew I didn't want cornerstones - they detract from the quilt design, so I threw that idea out.  I wanted to maximise the size of the quilt, so I chose a 7" border without cornerstones.


Adding Borders
You'd think the easiest way to add borders is just to sew a length of fabric to the side of your quilt then trim it off to the required length.  Move to the next edge and do the same and repeat until all four borders are added.

Yep, this is one way to add borders and in some scenarios might be the easiest way to go but you'll be nothing short of lucky to escape a wavy quilt top that doesn't want to lie flat in a quilt sandwich and becomes a quilting nightmare running the risk of tucks and folds.

If you want to save yourself problems, in the long run, the correct way to add borders is to take 3 measurements across your quilt widthwise and lengthwise.  You should then average out your 3 measurements for each direction.


Cut your border lengths according to the average width and length numbers from this calculation - NB: don't forget to add in the additional amount required on the two longer side lengths that are created once you add the first two borders.

Fold your quilt top edge in half and mark with a crease then fold your border length in half and mark with a crease.  Match these two centre creases and the two ends also and securely pin them.  You should now fit your borders easing them to a perfect fit within these pin markings.  You can add additional markings to the quilt top and also the borders at the quarter way marks (and more too if your quilt is particularly long) and using this method your quilt should lie perfectly flat, no wrinkles and waves.


The finished size of my quilt top is approx 76" square, and I'm truly, madly, deeply in love with it.  Of course, as always, my daughter Flicky has laid claim to it which is fine but only as long as it's her quilt here in my home because I'm not ready to let this one out of my sight.

I've been planning how to quilt it from the first moment I saw the pattern, and I've stuck with my plan throughout which tells me it's a goer.  I feel with such a modern, graphic design and bold yet simple solids the quilting should be the exactly the same and not become the focal point of the quilt so I'm going to quilt each triangle a 1/4" from its seam which will also create a train track effect with the parallel 1/4" quilting line from the adjacent triangle.  Don't worry if you don't get what I mean I'll be posting again once the quilt's finished.


I hope you've enjoyed my week on the #YumaQAL, here's a list of all my #YumaQuilt posts - you can click the links for previous days to catch up on those too and don't forget the international giveaway from Monday's post, more details below:

Wednesday: Log Cabin blocks
almost there! - Quilting My Yuma
and finally - Yuma QAL - A Finish

If you want to join in all you need to do is download the free Yuma Quilt pattern here and be sure to share your work on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc using the hashtag #yumaQAL.  Even if you're not making your own Yuma click through to the Instagram #YumaQAL and take a look at what everyone else is up to.


YUMA QAL SCHEDULE
Each week another blogger will be sharing their #YumaQAL experiences with you.

17 June - kick-off blog post on Gotham Quilts
week of 22 June - made by ChrissieD click here to find all my Yuma QAL posts
week of 29 June - Faith and Fabric
week of 6 July - Daydreams of Quilts
week of 13 July - Lisa in Port Hope
week of 20 July - Sunflower Quilting
week of 27 July - Roar Haus
week of 2 August - Gnome Angel
10 August - Life Under Quilts
12 August - closing blog post on Gotham Quilts and start of linky party
19 August - linky party winner(s) chosen



Featured on:



Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)


Disclaimer: Gotham Quilts supplied the fabrics used at a discount price to mbCD otherwise this post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs and opinions are my own.





44 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the solids and the emphasis they give to the graphic nature of the pattern. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really super design - looks amazing, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not the only one that Truely, Madly and Deeply in Love with it! It is gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great Chris - I love it - and am totally won over to solids! Thank you for sharing all your tips along the way. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've always loved working with solids but it was my evening at the Vancouver MQG meeting in June pushed me to work with them more. Almost everything in the Show and Tell was made with solids or fabrics that read as solids and I fell in love with them so when Ivete and Andrea asked me to take part in the Yuma QAL I knew just what direction I was taking the quilt in! I was only meant to do one blog post for the QAL but as I was working I felt like I had so many tips to share - far too many for one blog post - I hope people find them useful and not just for making the Yuma Quilt but as general quilting tutes too - Chris :D x

      Delete
  6. What a cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I just love this. I had not seen this pattern as the latest thing that others are doing but I am obviously up with trends at the moment. Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I read this post before I add borders to my big ZebraZ quilt. Thanks for sharing.
    I love the pattern and colors of your quilt top. I understand you felt in love with it. Lucky daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it'll be useful to you for your next quilt! I love your ZebraZ quilts but I'm crazy about your Matisse work - I was totally inspired by his Cut-Out Exhibition in London last year and again here in NYC this year but haven't put that inspiration to work, you have totally nailed it though!!! I wanted to comment on your blog but I don't have Google+ and couldn't figure out how to leave a message without joining which I don't want to do, so pleased you commented here so I can reach out to you - Chris :D

      Delete
  9. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for the border advice. I learned to take one measurement through the middle...but 3 is probably more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you do any measurement Lisa, so many quilters don't do any! - Chris :D

      Delete
  10. Lovely quilt and I agree totally with your border decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow....amazing. I think I need to jump on this QAL bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, delighted you might join in, there's still plenty time, the QAL doesn't end till 19 August and the pattern will remain available indefinitely after that too. If you do join in don't forget to #yumaQAL and #yumaQuilt on Instagram so we can all share our progress - Chris :D

      Delete
  12. I knew I would like this quilt in solids. Great job!. (I am guilty of doing borders the easy way--thanks for the reminder that that's not the best way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the quilt in solids! Hey you know doing the borders the easy way is better than an quilt that never gets finished and I'm all in favour of finished quilts too!!! - Chris :D

      Delete
  13. what a fabulous quilt top Chrissie! I love the design and the colours are perfect

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome quilt. The solids give it a totally different look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's absolutely gorgeous! Good thing I didn't know about the QAL sooner or I'd have been very, very tempted! I'll be pinning this page for future inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love Andrea's Yuma quilt design and you know the QAL doesn't end till 19 August - plenty time to still join in ;D The quilt pattern will be around indefinitely and my tips/tutes will too on here on my Yuma QAL page - Chris :D

      Delete
  16. A lovely quilt ... I like your solids version, look forward to seeing how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Neat! This is the first one I've seen from this QAL, it looks so great in solids!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a beautiful quilt!!!! Thanks for joining us at #HomeMattersParty. Hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Snow peeks reflecting into glacial lakes... with a touch of Navajo thrown in! Using solid colours really worked well. Love it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've summed the quilt up perfectly, so much better than I did but that's exactly where it takes me, thanks for dropping by and putting my thoughts into words - Chris :D

      Delete
  20. Auntie Shan beat me to it, I was thinking that it looks very tribal. I love the colours and layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't she just sum the quilt up perfectly?! I so agree with you both - Chris :D

      Delete
  21. How wonderful, I love the colors and really enjoyed seeing the 'auditions' for the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow stunning just perfect colour choices

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous pattern, I also think it looks a little like mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful quilt:) I love the colours you have chosen, and appreciate you taking the time to explain about adding the border.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful quilt top! I love the pattern, but your soothing color choices are really what make the quilt. Congratulations on a great finish! Any thoughts about how you'll quilt this one?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautifui! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how quilters always seem to have a knack for choosing apparently random colours and making them look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this pece, the colors are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Truly gorgeous! those colours just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This quilt is beautiful! I love all the bright colors. Thanks for sharing on Motivational Monday! I hope you'll join us again this week: http://makingitinthemitten.blogspot.com/2015/07/motivational-monday-july-12th.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful quilt, Chris! Love your colour choices!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.