Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Single Irish Chain Block Tute: My April 2014 NYC MQG Bee Block


The final Bee Block of the Bee year and April's NYC Mod Guild Queen Bee is Maren and here's her fabric selection Treasure - Patience from the Wish Collection by Valori Wells for Free Spirit and a yummy raspberry pink solid, and she's chosen a Single Irish Chain block for us to make.


If you'd like to have a go at making the block yourself here's my photo tutorial

A Single Irish Chain Block

Cut 4 of 2.5" x 4.5" rectangles (shown floral)
4 of 2.5" x 8.5" rectangles (shown floral)
1 of 4.5" square (shown solid)
8 of 2.5" squares (shown solid)


Lay out design as shown below



Sew each of the centre rows and the two outer columns of squares together using a scant 1/4" seam.  Follow me in the photos below noting how I've separated the pieces and moving on with me through each image joining the seams as shown.  Don't press your seams yet - we'll talk about that when we're further ahead with the sewing.

Let's start with the centre section.

Now those side columns.


As you can see above the 3 sections are coming together so let's take a look at the back to see how I've pressed each seam.  I've alternated the direction of each row so I can nest my seams together in the next stage and create perfect seam joints.  If you're not sure how to nest your seams you can learn how to do it here in my Easy Scrappy Nine Patch Tute 


Now back to the sewing.  Again using a scant 1/4" seam join the rows of the centre section as shown in the photos below.

Time to check the direction of those pressed seams.


Then join the side columns to the centre section.


And here's your finished block with perfect seam joints.
Unfinished size 12.5" square/Finished size 12" square.


And a final look at the back seams.


And a last look at that block.  In this photo below you can see the 3D effect that we've given the block just by the direction we pressed the seams - the centre block is the highest and the outermost perimeter blocks are the lowest.  Maren's colour choices have made this more obvious too with a strong warm raspberry that comes towards you while the cooler grey floral sits well back.

TIP:  You can use this visual receding and advancing achieved through colour and seam pressing in all blocks to create different effects in your quilt design.


As always you can check out all the blocks that our Bee make for Maren on my Quilty - Single Irish Chain Block Pinterest Board - I'll add more pins as each person in the Bee posts photos of their finished blocks and you can see my NYC Mod Quilt Guild Post here too.


Click these buttons to see more of my NYC Mod Guild blocks and my tutorials


Featured on:
Inspired Us Thursdays: Sew Needle Stitch Hook, a link party of fiber arts. | The Inspired Wren



 
Follow on Bloglovin
 
 
   

19 comments:

  1. Very nice block, Chrissie! You broke it down so well to make it look easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the detailed tutorial, Chrissie... so much information that's new to me. Love the 3D effect. Pinning for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're learning fast though Pam - with all those years of sewing experience quilting's easy, that's how I took to it so quickly too :D

      Delete
  3. Very nice tutorial, with lovely fabrics! I found your through the linky party on JAQS Studio. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An Irish Chain quilt has been on my "want to do" list for a while now. Your block looks great, and it's another great tutorial from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet block and really well written tutorial! You sew, girlfriend! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your choice of fabrics!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this tutorial for the Single Irish Chain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful tutorial for a beginner.


    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Join us again on Saturday morning at 8:00 am EST!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous clear tutorial! Wonderful job and I absolutely ADORE the fabrics that you used. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the simplicity of an Irish Chain quilt. great tute, Chrissy!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty, love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Amazing work! Thanks so much for sharing tutorial.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tute! Thanks for linking up to Inspire Us Thursdays on The Inspired Wren.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Unfortunately I've had to exclude 'Anonymous Users' from commenting as I started to receive a lot of spam comments via this route. If you're experiencing difficulty leaving a comment why not email me instead - my email button is top right of my blog.

Chris :D


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...