teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Monday 31 March 2014

A Finished UFO Or A Lost Mind?

I put my heart and my soul into my work and have lost my mind in the process
                                                                                                 Vincent van Gogh


Back in February 2013 I pattern tested this 7" foundation paper pieced heart for Juliet @The Tartankiwi (you can read about it here).


Of course, it's sat in my UFO pile ever since ... but no longer.  I ironed a piece of Pellon fusible fleece to the back of the heart and added a backing with a turned machine bound edge using the same fabulous Philip Jacobs Iris and Peony (Red) fabric that I've used for the heart centre on the front.  Yep those corners aren't perfectly mitred but at least it's finished and useable and I'm starting to think this could be a good mantra for me to live by - certainly if it's not something I'm selling!


I picked the fabric up on a trip to Liberty London - if you've never visited then take a look at the photos in my post here then put it on your Sewer's Bucket List.


Now it's an attractive table topper or wall hanging and could look equally good framed.

So one UFO's finished and unlike van Gogh I've even managed to keep my sanity I think - though my family might beg to differ ;D


Juliet's patterns are available now via her Etsy store and also her Payhip store.  
Here's a look back at the patterns I've previously tested for Juliet.
Click any of the images below to go through to my post about testing that particular pattern:

The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com
The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.comThe Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com
The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.comThe Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com

Disclosure: I do not receive payment from Juliet @TheTartankiwi for testing her patterns, nor do I receive a commission on any patterns sold via her Etsy store or any other sales method.  This post is purely informational and of no direct benefit, monetary or otherwise, to me.

Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)


Disclosure: 
This post contains a Craftsy affiliate banner for which I am paid commission on click-through purchases. Otherwise, no payment or commission is received for click-throughs to shared links; the post is for informational purposes only and all opinions are my own.

Copyright: 
Uncredited reproduction of all content, text and images on this site is prohibited.
All content, text and images must be credited to Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD and include a link back to this site.

Protected by Copyscape




Linky Parties This post may be linked to some great Linky Parties, always a great source of inspiration too. If you click through to my 'Fave Linky Parties' page you can see where I like to share my work.

Online Quilting Class

30 comments:

  1. I like it. I read this somewhere (many somewheres) - Finished is better than perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! As for the imperfections. .. my Grandmother would say, "As long no one can spot it from a galloping goose it's good!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The version of this saying that I know is "as long as a blind man on a galloping horse can't see it", isn't it funny how sayings change from area to area and even within families? :D

      Delete
  3. Oh it's beautiful!! Glad to see you've completed a WIP, and what a good job you've done of it too. LOVE that backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Chrissie...this is so beautiful! That backing fabric is wonderful, and the colors on the front are perfect. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the design. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That has wow! effect, or as one of my friends used to say, "It is a gasper." You made fantastic use of that gorgeous print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - thats a colourful feast! And the backing fabric is a must have! Great finish. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous fabric, Chrissie and looks great from where I'm sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those fabrics are beautiful! Great to have it finished and useable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Girlfriend! You did a beautiful job and now you can enjoy the fruit of your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. L.I.K.E. And finished and usable is the best way to be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous finish! The backing is perfectly scrumptious! And.... Sanity is highly over rated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You may have lost your mind but it's a beautiful place to lose it, amongst all that colour!! It's really lovely and now it's finished so you can enjoy it. Well done!

    http://www.busyneedle.ch

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great finish Chrissie. This is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Finish Chrissie it is so pretty and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it Chrissie! Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing! Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous Chrissie, I love those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely! beautiful work.
    - Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so beautiful! How long did it take you to make? I think something like this would take me about a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did the front over a year ago and only recently finished it but all told it actually only took an afternoon - foundation paper piecing allows you to build up so much detail really quickly :D

      Delete
  22. Red is my favorite color! Love the quilts (the imperfections make them handmade)!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party!

    Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great piece! I'd love to see you join us at the Inspire Us Thursdays! link party at www.theinspiredwren.com.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I'm impressed! Really impressed! (visiting from Tuesday Archives)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So gorgeous! I love the colors. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty - We hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful! I'm so glad you shared at Totally Terrific Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.