teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Sunday 10 March 2013

Will You Walk A Little Faster?


"Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail,
"There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail.

The Mock Turtle's Song, Lewis Carroll


  
Juliet from The Tartankiwi asked me to test another one of her fabulous Foundation Paper Piecing patterns, remember the 2 butterfly patterns and the heart pattern that I've tested before?


This time, it's a wonderful snail pattern.

What a great opportunity to use a fabric I've had stashed away - Tree Rings (Grey) by Martha Negley for Rowan Fabrics, it reminded me of snails crawling over our wood pile in our garden in England.

I miss our garden but I don't miss looking after it!  Here's a picture of one of my favourite areas in our garden


And here's another couple of photos of the finished block.  



I used Kona Tangerine to define the shell and also to make the red berries pop on the Tree Rings fabric, and I've managed to incorporate some of my favourite lime green to make those colours sing.  

I have an idea to include this block in a baby/child's quilt and I'll be adding a face to the snail but I want a bit longer to play around with expressions before committing to one.

The block measures 12" finished and Juliet will be putting the pattern out via her blog when all the testing is completed.


Here's a look back at the patterns I've previously tested for Juliet.
Click any of the images below to go through to my post about testing that particular pattern:

The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com
The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.comThe Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com
The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.comThe Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com The Tartankiwi FPP Pattern Testing by www.madebyChrissieD.com

Disclosure: I do not receive payment from Juliet @TheTartankiwi for testing her patterns, nor do I receive a commission on any patterns sold via her Etsy store or any other sales method.  This post is purely informational and of no direct benefit, monetary or otherwise, to me.

Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)


Disclosure: 
This post contains a Craftsy affiliate banner for which I am paid commission on click-through purchases. Otherwise, no payment or commission is received for click-throughs to shared links; the post is for informational purposes only and all opinions are my own.

Copyright: 
Uncredited reproduction of all content, text and images on this site is prohibited.
All content, text and images must be credited to Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD and include a link back to this site.

Protected by Copyscape




Linky Parties This post may be linked to some great Linky Parties, always a great source of inspiration too. If you click through to my 'Fave Linky Parties' page you can see where I like to share my work.

Online Quilting Class

17 comments:

  1. Lovely snail and an especially lovely garden. I agree. It would be hard to look after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we haven't missed looking after the garden one bit, it took so much of our spare time. The ridiculous thing is that once we rented the house out to tenants we had to employ gardeners to manage it for them - now why did we never do that for ourselves?!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Great block Chrissie, the Tree Rings fabric is perfect in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I love that fabric and hadn't decided how to use it, I'm glad it's had an airing now and I'll finish it off in a quilt soon :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful block Chrisse and the fabrics that you chose are perfect. Lovely garden too!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha, need to think of a face for him now - not sure if he should be looking at us or in profile? :)

      Delete
  4. The snail looks great! Nice stunning colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carin - the tangerine and lime green are so zingy aren't they? :)

      Delete
  5. he's lovely! I had forgotten the butterfly blocks, so thanks for reminding me. Now I've tried a few PP blocks, i think I could give them a go!

    Your garden was gorgeous, one day I'd like to have a proper garden rather than my tiny concrete yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do give the blocks a go, some of them are still free via Juliet's website - the heart, a small ladybird and a kiwi but she's charging now for the 2 hearts and the large ladybird. When she first publishes them they're available free for a while but then she starts to charge - grab them while you can! :)

      Delete
  6. Oooh! Super cute! I love the fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, I think he's cute too - I just hope I can give him the right facial expression now! :)

      Delete
  7. Very sweet, it would look lovely on a baby quilt, lookin forward to seeing what expression you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pp patterns are awesome and your fabric choices are spectacular! Very inspiring :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I've been too busy to pattern test for Juliet over the last year but she continues to create fabulous foundation paper piece patterns. You can find her on her blog Tartankiwi and also here on Craftsy :D

      Delete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.