teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Sunday 5 August 2012

Liberated Log Cabin - My August Bee Block

Bee Block time again!

My August Queen Bee is Binita and she's asked us to create a Liberated Log Cabin.  Binita's instructions are so open and flexible which made it an incredibly fun block to create.


I've made a Log Cabin block before but never a wonky or liberated one so I started out by making a muslin sample block.


I did think that this sample block isn't quite as 'liberated' as maybe Binita would like so when I got stuck into the actual block I tried to put more pieced sections into each side and to do some narrower widths to give more interest to the block.


I simply love this block.  I had it all sewn up in no time at all - no measuring or figuring out what should go where, just working around the piece as I pleased until it measured more than 12.5" on each side at which point I cut it back to a 12.5" square.

Great fun, great block and I'm sure the finished quilt will look amazing.

I've posted the block to the NYC Mod Guild Blog and you can take a look at it here.

New York Beauty Block News:

Speaking of finished Bee Block Quilts, my Queen Been for June, Kim has completed her New York Beauty quilt top and sent it off for quilting.  I was very excited to see the photo she posted on the NYC Mod Guild blog and had fun spotting my 2 blocks in amongst the others.  If you'd like to take a look at it just click here - the colours are fab.


Related posts:
Stop Blogging; Start Making
New York Beauty (June Bee Block) - Sunglasses Recommended!


And you can click this link to see all of my NYC Mod Quilt Guild Bee Blocks and Challenge Blocks/Quilts.





 
Follow on Bloglovin
 

10 comments:

  1. wow! Awesome block! It gives the illusion of frames within frames, well done, Chrissie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FarahLin. Daughter, F, says it looks like a tunnel you can walk through. I do like it myself and again being in a Bee has made me challenge myself and try out something I haven't done before :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful and unique log cabin block! Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. F is right, it does look like a tunnel. Very wonky, indeed :))) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making my Bee Block is the most motivating thing I do each month!

      Delete
  4. I really love the wonkiness of this block as well as the colors you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I can't claim to have chosen the colours as they were sent to me by me August Queen Bee, but the block design is all my own! Good to meet you and thanks for the follow :)

      Delete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.