teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Friday 26 July 2013

Connecting The Dots - My August 2013 NYC Metro Mod Bee Block

Time for my August Bee Block for my NYC Metro Mod Guild Bee.  Observant readers may be wondering what happened to July's block, well Queen Bee Emily sent out the August blocks very early giving us the whole summer to make the block and I really liked this block so I'm making it up early and before my July block.


The block is appropriately the August: Polka Dot Block from The Modern Quilting Bee Block Party book -and here're the fabrics that Emily included in the package.  Emily asked for a minimum of 5 circles and we could use any of the colours sent or use our own fabric - her only stipulation being that it should be a solid - and we could use any applique method, thread colour and stitch to attach the blocks.


 I used one of each size of circle template from my Bigger Perfect Circles set by Karen Kay Buckley - 10 circles in total


And here's the colours I choose to use from those that Emily sent


I randomly placed a circle on each piece of coloured fabric rather than 'choosing' which colours should be which size.


I decided to use a raw edge applique method and I drew around each circle template on Steam-A-Seam 2 double sided fusible.


Here's the fusible cut out and ironed onto the fabric - right up to the corners so I can save as much of that gorgeous Michael Miller Couture Solid for scrap as possible!


All the circles are cut out and look at all that lovely scrap!


I knew that I wanted to create a block with a huge amount of negative space visible (the background grey) so I decided to position the circles mainly along one side of the block.  The trimmed, finished block is large measuring 17" x 21".  I wanted the circles to be random rather than placed so I removed the Steam-A-Seam 2 backing paper and gently threw them onto the grey background fabric and left them where they landed.  Unbelievably I really liked where most of them landed - I only rethrew two of the circles to achieve a better look.


Once in place and ironed I sewed the circles into place using a turquoise thread and zig-zag stitch.


I know I say this pretty much every month but this block really appeals to me - I think the finished quilt is going to look amazing and it's one I wouldn't mind owning myself - now I don't say that every month!!!


As always you can also check out all the blocks that our Bee make for Emily on my Quilty - Polka Dot Block Pinterest Board - I'll add more pins as each person in the Bee posts photos of their finished blocks and you can see my NYC Mod Guild Post here too.


Featured on:



Clicking on an image will take you to through to the new page of crafty goodness :)


Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs and opinions are my own.


19 comments:

  1. great block! wouldn't a whole quilt of these be fabulous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly - I really could keep this one myself and make the whole quilt. Sometimes I like a block more than I expect but it's more of an emotional attachment after I've gone to the trouble of making the block - that's how I felt when I made the Modern Sun Bonnet Sue block - I loved her but I wouldn't want a whole quilt of her. Now this block I could really do as a quilt - oh wow, I just had a thought that I'd actually like it just made larger so that the one block was the whole quilt - and that would be so fast and easy, mmmmmm - that's one to ponder a little more!!!

      Delete
  2. What a block full of joyous colour and shape!! It's funny- before I read the part where you described throwing the circles, I was thinking 'oh, this reminds me of the poster I made recently where I threw my circles and then glued them in place". I made this for school - it was just a simple poster for my grade 1 glass, but it ended up looking great and was very freeing to toss and glue, instead of agonizing where each circle looked best. So I had a little giggle to see that you had done that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny Lisa - I just knew if I started placing the circles they'd look forced somehow and I would take forever deciding if they looked right or not. What I liked best was how the colours divided with the more muted yellow tones on the left and the brighter colours on the right - apart from the small pink which I thought about moving and then decided I should just go with it as it linked the two areas!

      Delete
  3. Cute block, what fun to throw and stitch, although I had to laugh at you rethrowing two of them because you didn't like the placement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Fiona - turned out I couldn't be quite as 'free' with it as I'd have liked to have been but the second throw for each was much more to my liking thankfully!!! ;)

      Delete
  4. This is a fun block Chrissie! The first month of my Bee did a similar block except on white and the circles were rainbow prints. The resulting quilt was really striking - it was quilted with pebbles. When my computer is back up & running I will send you a pic! Unbelievably, this was the first time I had ever used Bondaweb - I had been too chicken up until the Bee forced me. Since then I have used it loads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your Bee's finished quilt Gertie, do send me a photo when you can. I had the same small folded piece of Bondaweb since the 1980s. I treated it as if it were gold and wouldn't use it/waste it! Three years ago when I was studying art textiles I discovered it comes on large rolls, you can even buy it by the yard and it's relatively cheap. Now I use it all the time, even keeping all my cut off 'bits' as even just a tiny piece is great to hold a tricky seam in place. The best use I've recently found is to hold a zip in place ready for sewing as I described in my Quilted Pillow Cushion Hidden Zipper tutorial, my life transformed!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful block! So much fun. I can definitely see myself doing some of these for pillows. I am bookmarking this post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real simple but stunning block isn't it - I was thinking a whole quilt might be on the cards for me at some point but your suggestion of a pillow is a great idea too, thanks for sharing Izzy :)

      Delete
  6. What a fun Bee, and your gorgeous photos combine to make a nice tutorial too! Beautiful solids - scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be such a cheerful, bubbly quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for a quilt, love your frugality too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect circles, perfect block!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a great block! I love the colorful circles against the negative space. You made me smile thinking of you rethrowing the circles (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't use negative space enough when I'm sewing. In a former life, dabbling with ad layouts, I learned the value of and how to use negative space, but have never really thought about it when quilting or sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! A fabulous block! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.