teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Friday 1 June 2012

What You Can Achieve In An Hour Or So When You Get Cracking

I missed the final two Transparency Quilt classes because of my trip to England so yesterday I got out my fabrics, the book and notes and tried to remember everything we'd talked about in class two weeks ago!

The idea had been to try the fabrics in different combinations and layouts to see what worked best to get the 3D transparency effect but I've decided to just get stuck in.  I know I'm going for the Share and Share Alike Quilt by Ringle & Kerr and, thanks to Tatty dog, I know I'm making a runner to cover the holes in my sofa.  This makes my decision easy - an 8 block runner in neutrals and gold and given that I've ended up with a colourway that is identical to the example in the book I think I'm pretty much guaranteed success (is that cheating?!).

So I got cracking and here's the results:

Various stages of making blocks
Here's two blocks with sashing - can you spot the 'transparency' effect?
Maybe you can see it more easily at an angle?





Looking at these photos there appears to be a mark on the quilt but I know that there isn't - checked out the camera lens and it needed a good clean - hopefully future photos will be more accurate!

I only bought enough fabric for my initial trials so 2 blocks was as far as I could go.  Need to buy more fabric now to make another 6 blocks, border, backing and binding.  Let's hope the sofa can hold out that long - I'll keep you posted!

Other Transparency Quilt related posts:
Transparency Quilts

8 comments:

  1. Great start! And yes, I do see the 'transparency' effect. Have fun shopping for more fabrics! Looking forward to seeing more... =)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a great time shopping today - you'll have to let me know what you think of the new fabrics - they're a bit different to the transparency fabrics! http://madebychrissied.blogspot.com/2012/06/ive-been-shopping.html

      Hope your weekend's going well also :)

      Delete
  2. Yes! The transparency effect is perfect!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvana. I do feel like I've cheated though as the colourway is identical to theirs!

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun. I always worry about working with solid colours. I am worried that I am not neat enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, there's just nowhere to hide with solids and how visible is my free motion quilting going to be - it just doesn't bear thinking about! :)

      Delete
  4. I really like that effect! It's cool how colors can work like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? I like the idea as well that the 'transparent' child colour isn't necessarily an obvious mix of the two parent colours - like a blue square and a yellow square don't necessarily make a green transparency, it's fascinating :)

      Delete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.