|Using iron-on adhesive transfer web to attach applique to block|
|Basket pieces cut out and ready to attach to block|
Using an English product called Bondaweb (I think it's called Wonder Under in America) I ironed the adhesive transfer web to the two fabrics. Next I cut out my basket design and drew around it onto the Bondaweb paper backing. I cut the basket sections out of the fabric, removed the backing paper and ironed them onto the central square block.
|Appliqued basket with free machine stitched outline|
Using a zigzag stitch I appliqued the basket onto the central fabric square. Once this was done I sketched bullrushes onto the fabric using an air erasing pen - as long as I don't iron over my sketched lines before they disappear then the pen will be gone from the fabric over the next couple of hours.
|Close up detail of central square|
I lowered the feed dogs on my machine and free motion stitched over the sketched lines using different coloured threads. I used a different colour bobbin thread to add more textural detail as this lifts through from the back of the fabric depending on the tension used. Finally I filled in the outline of the bullrushes again using a different colour to add more detail.
TIP: I haven't appliqued within a block before and what I've learnt from this is that it would be better to do the sewing and applique onto the fabric before cutting it to size for the block. The heavy stitching pulls the fabric in slightly and, as we all know, every 1/8" counts when you're patchworking so now I'll have to do scant 1/4" seams to make up the difference. Cutting the square after appliqueing would mean you could cut the square accurately to size.
And here's the finished square within its block
|Finished applique and free motion stitching|
Other related posts about my 'Children of Israel' block:
My First Quilting Bee
Children of Israel 12" Quilting Block
A Very Wet Tuesday