teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique]

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com

The March Block Lotto for the NYC Metro Modern Quilters Guild is another scrap buster.  

What's a Block Lotto?
You make any number of blocks of the designated design, hand over your blocks at the next guild meeting and you are given one entry in the raffle draw for each block you've made.  

I got carried away making this month's scrap buster - I've made up six blocks and you can't even tell I've taken anything from my scrap boxes.  I was pleased to use up some charm squares from a charm swap I took part in a few years ago.  I wasn't that thrilled with the charms I received - they weren't all good quality, some had been pre-washed and the prints weren't to my taste - it taught me to be more selective about the swaps I join and to read the rules carefully and ask questions beforehand, it was a good lesson learnt. 

So, while I was making the blocks I was also thinking how great a quilt could look using this block made up from a chosen fabric collection or solids, not just with scraps.  I enjoyed trialling layout options too, though I couldn't develop them much with only six blocks.

This block is very quick to make and such a simple technique you can easily play around with the number of strips and also the dimensions to create larger or smaller blocks.

Here are some photos I took along the way.

Scrappy Rectangles Block [Technique]
8" x 8" (unfinished) / 7-1/2" x 7-1/2" (finished)

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com

I made things even more simple by chain piecing enough strips for the six blocks.

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com
Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com
Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com

A finished Scrappy Rectangle Block.

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com

Using my six blocks, I've played around with these three design layouts but there has to be potential for far more when you're working with a greater number of blocks.

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com
Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com

I like the larger rectangles that are created along the horizontal centre line of this third layout.

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com

In the end, I couldn't resist playing around with the block design layout some more in EQ7, sometimes changing the strip orientation within the blocks and rotating the blocks within the quilt top. 

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.comScrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com
Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.comScrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com

They're all created as solids, apart from the last one, it's Lotta Jansdotter's Hemma collection for Windham Fabrics.  The first four remind me of Fair Isle knitting and make my fingers itch to grab some needles and be creative with wool!

Quite possibly the Lotta version is my favourite, which one is yours?

Scrappy Rectangles Block [Technique]

Scrappy Rectangle Block [Technique] by www.madebyChrissieD.com


Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)


Disclosure/Disclaimer: 
This post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs to links shared.

Copyright: 
Uncredited reproduction of all content, text and images on this site is prohibited.
All content, text and images must be credited to Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD and include a link back to this site.

Protected by Copyscape



Linky Parties This post may be linked to some great Linky Parties, always a great source of inspiration too. If you click through to my 'Fave Linky Parties' page you can see where I like to share my work.

20 comments:

  1. I love that third layout that gives the secondary design. This is a great stash buster pattern and when you are overrunn with scraps you need all the help you can get! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love patterns with secondary designs, so much visual interest and possibilities :D

      Delete
  2. great stashbuster project. And I love that it is a totally different block than you usually see for scrap therapy. Than ks you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of scraps. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun block. Thanks for the tutorial! I love the scrappy look you went it and it's a great way to use up those not so great charms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dreadful prints on those charms weren't anywhere near as awful once I cut into them. Guess I'll have to make more of these blocks because there are plenty more ugly charms still in my stash ;D

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun block! I am always on the lookout for ways to use up my scrappy stash, and all those layout designs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun !....I am not sure which version I like best. Great scrappy idea. thanks for sharing. micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, what a great way to use up scraps, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, always fun to find a way to use scraps and I've plenty to work my way through. No idea when I'll find the time though!!!

      Delete
  8. I really love the purple, red and green layout, both for the design as well as the colors. This seems like such a fun block to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great tutorial! Love the scrapiness and ease of this block. Honestly, I liked all your layouts! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love a block that is a scrap buster! Thanks for sharing and for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great, and manageable to a novice like me too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love scrap buster quilts! Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shantel, it was such a versatile and easy block I had to share it :D

      Delete
  13. That's just amazing, how many different looks you can get with the same blocks. Thanks for sharing with us at #HandmadeMonday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea and love the pictures and how to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a great way to reduce the scrap piles. Thank you for sharing the tutorial at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.