teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Friday 13 May 2016

Exploring London - Shaukat, Cloth House & John Lewis


So you're in London and wanting to fabric shop - there are three other stores I love to visit when I'm home that you may want to take a look at.


The first is 
170-172 Old Brompton Road  London  SW5 0BA
Tel: 0207 373 6927 / 373 8956

Opening hours:
Mon-Sat 10 am to 7 pm
Closed Sundays

I've written about Shaukat briefly before here in 2012 and here in 2014 but never in an Exploring post.  Shaukat is the place to shop for your Liberty lawn fabric - they stock more Liberty than Liberty and they also stock lawn made by other companies too alongside shirting and silk fabrics.  Spread over two floors this is a lawn heaven, you can buy off the bolt or in pre-cut pieces and you can have a lot of fun in the scrap section.  What I do want to say though is not to expect a warm fuzzy welcome, you're not likely to get one - you're here to buy the lawn and you'll be on your own doing it, the staff aren't going to hold your hand as you browse.  Don't let that put you off, though it really is the business if you're wanting to increase your lawn stash.


The store is a 14-minute walk or 3-minute #430 bus ride from the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum) and if you walk you can have a lovely lunch/dinner in one of many cafes and bars around South Kensington tube station. So it makes a very easy tag on to a museum day out.

Need more temptation - here're some of my purchases from a couple of my visits.




The second store I'm sharing is

No 47 Berwick Street  London  W1F 8SJ
Tel: 020 7437 5155

Opening hours:
Mon-Fri 9.30 am to 6 pm
Saturday 10.30 am to 6 pm
Sunday 12 noon to 5.30 pm


Cloth House is in Soho and you'll probably stumble across it without realising as you wander around the Soho streets soaking up the atmosphere.  They stock natural and handmade fabrics from around the world and support worldwide local textile traders and communities.


And the third and final store...

300 Oxford Street  London  W1C 1DX
Tel: 020 7629 7711

Opening hours:
Mon-Weds & Fri-Sat 9.30 am to 8 pm
Thurs 9.30 am to 9 pm
Sunday 12 noon to 6 pm

John Lewis is a great store to stock up on quilting/sewing/knitting/crochet supplies.  Not just London based there's a John Lewis store in many major towns and cities around The British Isles.  I've included a 'find a store' link above.  I bought some basic fq bundles - spots and stripes.


John Lewis is a great store to visit, selling just about anything you could need for you, your family and your home.  There's always a good cafe in store to grab coffee/lunch and a nice restroom - we all like to know where we can find a decent restroom don't we!!!  Oh and if it's a John Lewis with a food hall (brand name Waitrose) check that out too, you'll find some real treats to snack on here and I highly recommend biscuits from the Prince of Wales' brand Duchy Originals - he makes a very good biscuit ;D


I only recommend stores I've shopped at myself and obviously there's a lot more out there to explore on your own too but hopefully my posts give you some good starting points.  There's more UK Fabric Store inspiration here on my Pinterest Board too.


Visiting The British Isles?  Read my previous Exploring posts by clicking the images below:


For details of other fabric, yarn, trim and notion stores I've visited around the world along with the NYC stores I love, exhibitions and events I've attended and wonderful people I've been lucky to meet click the links below or on my sidebar :D
  


Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)
    

Click to follow Chris Dodsley of made by ChrissieD on



Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs and opinions are my own.

Linky Parties
This post may be linked to some great Linky Parties, always a great source of inspiration too.  If you click through to my 'Fave Linky Parties'  page you can  see where I like to share my work.

10 comments:

  1. Shaukat has a fabulous collection of Liberty fabrics doesn't it, but the customer service is on the frosty side :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some beautiful fabrics there Chrissie, can't wait to see what you make with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were in London this weekend but I couldn't persuade my husband to go fabric shopping sadly! On a happier note we do have a John Lewis's just 20 minutes away from our house. I love the bit's you picked up and I'm not jealous at all (honestly!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live on the outskirts of London (with a John Lewis nearby), but perhaps I should go on a shopping trip up to town. I liked seeing the green liberty pattern which were the curtains in my first flat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love JL and The Cloth House is fantastic, all my old haunts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the window display of the Cloth House!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all these "local" places, Chrissy!! The insider view is always the best! Making a list in case I get back to London!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty pictures; I love those blue fabrics... so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm making a list of all these shops you've been sharing, and the next time I'm in London I'm definitely making time to visit at least a few. It is so difficult to find shops like these in Portugal that I really envy you when I read your posts! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You knows some wonderful shops! Love these posts xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.