teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Thursday 24 May 2012

Back To Some Much Needed Quilting

Me and My Babes
I've spent the last 5 days back in England for my Dad's funeral.  If these events can be beautiful then this one certainly was.  From the service to the weather, everything was perfect; a very appropriate and fitting goodbye to the wonderful and absolute gentleman that my Dad was.

It's strange but these last 2 weeks have also given me what is now a rare opportunity - the chance to be with all 3 of my children at the same time (can you still refer to them as your children once they're adult and towering over you?!).  With each of us scattered in constantly changing places around the globe it takes some arranging to even Skype each other across the many time zones.  These last few days have given us some sad but very special memories to carry with us always.





Dad's Shirts


I've brought Dad's shirts back to the US with me, I'm going to make a quilt for Mum to keep.  The pastel colours look great together and I'm looking forward to making it up for her.

I'll leave you with this link to a song that my Dad used to sing to my Mum when I was growing up, John Rowles 'If I Only Had Time'.  I've never been able to listen to it without thinking of him and crying so it was very fitting that we played it as we entered the church at his funeral.





Updated at 20 May 2014

You can read about the finished Memory Quilt here in



6 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry about your Dad :( His shirts will make a very heartwarming quilt for your Mum. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Kati. I've 5 other projects to complete before I can start on the quilt for Mum but she doesn't mind.

      Delete
  2. What a great pallet of colors. His quilt should be stunning. It's been almost a year since my Dad passed and I still love to stay warm under his t-shirt quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your Dad too Linda, hope my Mum can feel the same about this quilt as you do about yours.

      Got my thinking cap on now deciding what quilt pattern to use and glad, with other projects on the go, that I've got a bit of time to think this one through so I can get it right :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your dad. Glad you got to see all your children. That will be a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, seeing my brood was, as always, fabulous and I'm really looking forward to making that quilt.

      Delete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.