teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Saturday 20 May 2017

Secret Project: A Sewing Basket

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

Yesterday, I made a secret project.  Obviously, I can't say any more about the who, why, where, when but I can share the what - I've made a sewing basket.

Secret Project: A Sewing Basket

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

Just over a year ago I made lots of Pixie Baskets using the free online pattern by Heidi over at Fabric Mutt.  I took them over to England on a visit and gave them away as gifts, here's my original blog post.  

Pixie Baskets by www.madebyChrissieD.com

I also have two on the bedside tables in my bedroom, they're great for holding loose change, rings, watch, med bottles, etc.  I use mine for my glasses - they're the last thing I take off at night and the first thing I put on in a morning and I like knowing they're in a soft fabric basket and not risking being scratched on the cabinet.

So, when a secret project was called for, I knew exactly what to make and, wanting to make it sewing themed, I also knew exactly what fabric to use.

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

The fabric collection is Sewing Room by Amanda Murphy for Benartex, you may remember I used it to make this mug rug - more in this blog post which includes a link to my tute on the Benartex Sew in Love {with Fabric} blog.

Mug Rug Tute by www.madebyChrissieD.com Mug Rug Tute by www.madebyChrissieD.com

I adapted Heidi's pattern using a single piece of fabric for the full height of the outside of the basket.  This meant I could fit a full spool of thread (does anyone else think it looks like an Aurifil spool?!) on each side.

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

Instead of adding machine quilting I hand quilted over the stitch line detail on the fabric using a silver grey Aurifil Aurifloss embroidery thread.

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

The lining of my basket is snug - I've adapted the pattern for a better fit

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

and I share my tips in the tute below alongside another tip to make turning the bottom seam of the lining easier.

 

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

To hold the lining in place securely I stitch the lining opening closed through all the layers of the basket bottom, stitching in the ditch along the outer seam line.

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

I made my own tabs using a 2" wide piece of fabric.

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

I wonder who the intended recipient might be???

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com

Have you made a pixie basket?  Any tips or stories to share?

Secret Project: A Sewing Basket

Sewing Basket by www.madebyChrissieD.com


Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)


Disclosure: 
This post contains a Craftsy affiliate banner for which I am paid commission on click-through purchases. Otherwise, no payment or commission is received for click-throughs to shared links; the post is for informational purposes only and all opinions are my own.

Copyright: 
Uncredited reproduction of all content, text and images on this site is prohibited.
All content, text and images must be credited to Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD and include a link back to this site.

Protected by Copyscape




Linky Parties This post may be linked to some great Linky Parties, always a great source of inspiration too. If you click through to my 'Fave Linky Parties' page you can see where I like to share my work.

Online Quilting Class

16 comments:

  1. what a small world I made one yesterday too but mine is not so successful. Not sure where I go wrong but the liming seems too big, mind you I did not have a seam in the bottom.Linings usually cause me a problem when it comes to bags etc though I follow the instructions. Thinking of making one for the bathroom using the special fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, the lining is too big for the basket, if you follow my tute, as linked to in this post, you should have more success :D

      Delete
  2. Whoever the recipient is she is a lucky lady! Great gift Chris. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice...actually adorable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky lady who receives this. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    C.U.T.E. OMG - I know I am not the recipient but I sure wish I was. This is adorbs, and the fabric is just perfect. At some point, I'd like to share your tutorial on my blog if you do not mind. Love, love, LOVE it! ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roseanne, hehehe, I feel the same and I think I'm going to have to make one to keep now too.
      I'm afraid the Pixie Basket tute isn't mine to share, it belongs to Heidi Staples over @FabricMutt. I'm more than happy for you to link to my post in general though or to my tutes that I've included in the post on how to make a lining fit better and how to turn seam openings inwards :D

      Delete
  6. This is so lovely Chris, I've been over and found the pattern from Heidi and pinned it already so thanks for that. I'd love to have a go at making a few of these.
    I am loving how you adapted this to fit your fabric so perfectly. it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are so cute! Perfect fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made a pixie basket but after seeing your I definitely want to! How whimsically useful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute basket. I absolutely love the fabrics you use! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful and I love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect fabric choices, Chris !! Thank you for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was the lucky recipient of this pixie basket. I "won" it at a swap at our guild's summer retreat. It sits next to my machine and holds thread, scissors, and so many other little things. Can't imagine sewing life without it. I love it! Thanks Chrissie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you get that adorbs Aurifil-esk fabric?!!! That basket is too cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.