teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Monday 30 May 2016

How I Repaired - A Tweed Coat Seam


 Flicky, my daughter, is home from St Andrews University for the summer and she's brought a few sewing repair jobs with her.  The first one I tackled is a frayed seam down the centre back of this tweed coat.  Flicky did a quick hand-sewn repair job on it with black thread so she could continue to wear it - it's still cold in St Andrews ;D - and this is how looked when it was passed over to me.


Here's how I tackled the repair.


I trialled several threads against the tweed - from blue through greys to black.  I used a single thread strand for my trial, not the whole reel as a single strand can take on a different colour when it stands alone.  I chose an Aurifil 50/2 #2610 Light Blue Grey which resembled the colour of a repeated fleck in the tweed.


This is how the coat looks now


and the lining too.



I don't think Flicky will be needing the coat while she's home - the weather changed from winter to summer last in New York, I highly doubt anyone will be wearing tweed here now until October at the earliest.  Still Flicky's 'ready to wear' when she goes back to St Andrews in August!



Clicking on an image will take you to a new page of crafty goodness :)

Disclaimer: 
This post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs to links shared.

Click to follow Chris Dodsley of made by ChrissieD on Bloglovin'



Linky Parties This post may be linked to some great Linky Parties, always a great source of inspiration too.  If you click through to my 'Fave Linky Parties'  page you can see where I like to share my work.



11 comments:

  1. Incredible! Thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job there Chris. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice coat - great repair - that's what us Mums are for, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! I was wondering how you would tackle the frayed tweed. Very educational and you'd never know about the repair, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great repair, you can barely see it. It's such a lovely coat so it's good to think lots more wear can be had from it.
    My daughter made the mistake one year of going back to uni with just a light jacket in September (she was due home again in just a few weeks for something or other) and the weather turned and bless her she was freezing for a month! In the Uk you really do need that coat on hand for at least 9 months of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very useful, thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job, very neat way to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done! Great (and useful!) tutorial, thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great invisible mend. St. Andrews is where I studied (a long time ago) and you did need warm clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive mending skills Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never thought to use this presser foot when darning. I know it's called a darning foot, but I have only associated it with FMQ. Thanks for the tip, Chris. No one would ever know there was once a tear in the jacket.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.