teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Wednesday 26 November 2014

The Low Volume Block - NYC Metro Mod Quilt Guild Block Lotto


For so long I've been wanting to make a quilt using just cream and white fabrics so when I got the instructions for the November Lotto Blocks for the NYC Metro Mod Quilt Guild I knew exactly what sort of block I was going to make.

The instructions are a 12.5" unfinished block; any block design; low volume fabrics.

Time to trial my idea and see just how a block for a whole white and cream quilt could look.


I've allowed myself to use tone on tones,


and varied textures, especially for the solids, adding visual and tactile interest.


I've used 9 fabrics and cut 9 blocks - (6) 5" x 4.5" and (3) 4" x 3.5" and I've joined them together using row by row and nested seams method from my Easy Scrappy Nine Patches tute.


Yep, it's confirmed, I do want to make a whole quilt just like this.


As always you can check out all the blocks that our Bee make for the November Block Lotto on my Quilty - NYC Metro Mod Guild Challenge Blocks Pinterest Board- I'll add more pins as each person in the Bee posts photos of their finished blocks and you can see my NYC Mod Quilt Guild post here too.


Additionally, you can click this link to see all of my NYC Mod Quilt Guild Bee Blocks and Challenge Blocks/Quilts.



Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs and opinions are my own.

Follow on Bloglovin
   



13 comments:

  1. I think that it will make a gorgeous quilt - very elegant! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never gone low volume, but I can see that this will be very sophisticated and elegant. Look forward to seeing a whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this quilt will be amazing. I love the low volume and fabrics chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some lovely low volumes, this is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this - very soft looking and delicate to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your block ! I'm on my way to check out NYC Metro Mod...I want to make a whole quilt like that too.... one of these days. Rachael Daisy made one I fell in love with a couple of years ago called, Dollop of Cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Vickie, there's only 2 LV blocks on my Pinterest Board so far - I'll be able to pin more photos after the meeting next week. I'm going to research Rachael Daisy's Dollop of Cream now - thanks for sharing - Chris :D

      Delete
  7. This reminds me of a quilt I saw at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham. It was all pieced from different creams and was very subtle and beautiful, but unfortunately it was flanked by two much more "bright" quilts and got a bit drowned out as a consequence. You've made me wonder about trying something like this myself though - I have loads of cream-coloured scraps left over from another project! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have seen that and I can just imagine what you mean by the surrounding quilts drowning it. You know I only went and won the block lotto for the Low Volume Blocks!!! I was really excited but when I received the blocks they weren't true low volume at all - some people had used quite deep yellows, lilacs and jades in there, amongst other colours and in the same way these colours too drown out the whole idea of the quilt top being low volume. It was quite disappointing and the blocks didn't pull together at all so I cut them all up and rehashed them into a quilt top that I'll be sharing on the blog soon - Chris :D

      Delete
  8. love the low volume fabrics you chose, I have a few of those myself. Thanks for linking up to Building Blocks Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been also wanting to use cream and white for a quilt. I think I just may try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A low contrast also means that seams are more forgiving too and I always love a forgiving design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat idea! Looking forward to sering the whole quilt when you're done. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.