teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Thursday 25 September 2014

Fabric Shopping And More In Phoenix


The first week of September I visited Phoenix, Arizona - Simon was working out there so I tagged along looking forward to spending time by the hotel pool and he'd clinched the deal by telling me there were lots of quilt stores for me to visit.

I put a call out on Facebook and via my blog asking readers to let me know if there was anywhere I should visit during my trip and several of you came back with some great info.  Big thank yous to Laura Phipps, Diann @Little Penguin Quilts and Zenia @A Quilted Passion for giving me a great 'to do' list. 

Here's a round up of what I got up to (photo heavy!).


Sight Seeing


stories of American Indian people.

 Great sculpture Indigenous Evolution

 A Hopi wedding dress

What a collection of Kachina dolls!


protecting and preserving the desert's natural beauty.

 
 
 
 

there're no words really, this place was just amazing.


the only museum in the world devoted to global musical instruments.


 You don't have to play an instrument yourself to enjoy this place - Simon loved this footage of his favourite band Rush.


Have to admit being very disappointed at the 'England' section of the museum, I don't think I'm wrong in believing my home country's added more to the development of music than this handful of instruments and film footage suggests :(


Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home, studio and architectural campus.

 
 

Visiting Taliesin West was truly the highlight of my trip - if you ever get the opportunity take a tour grab it.


Eating Out

One thing's for sure, Simon and I ate waaaayyy too much food during our stay - the needle on the scales agrees and I'm weighing in half a stone heavier than before the trip and the last year's seen that needle edge too far in the wrong direction already.  Drastic measures to rectify this are called for but I don't suspect our trip to Seville next week to visit our new Grandson, Oliver will make matters any better.


We ate at many places but here are a few faves:

The Original 5 & Diner
5220 N. 16th Street, Phoenix

 

The Cherry Cheesecake Shake was the most delicious shake I've ever had in my life but probably not a good choice before being faced with my lunch below!


Needless to say, I couldn't finish it - Spaghetti, Meatballs and Garlic Toast.  I tried really hard but had to take half of it home with me and had it for breakfast next day!

We loved 5 & Diner so much we stopped at a second location another day.
9069 E. Indian Bend Road, Scottsdale

 

Half of that meal's Simon's, it's really not all mine.


3102 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale

Incredible food and choosing desert is very easy - there's only one ...

The Original Pizza CookieMore than a 1/2 pound of Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate or White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookie dough, slightly baked in a 6-inch pizza pan and topped with three scoops of vanilla bean ice cream. This baby serves 2-4.
Only $4.99


We tried, we really tried, but we failed, even Simon couldn't take on his usual role as human waste disposal!!!



And finally

Fabric Shopping



Jo-Ann's?!!!  I know it's not that exciting but for me it was - I've never been to a JA-ann store before so as soon as I spotted it we had to pull in.


It was fun to walk around but I'm pretty spoilt with all the fabulous top quality fabric I handle every day working at my LQS in Manhattan so I didn't buy any here though I did pick up 3 packets of needles and this DMC thread - found out later I'd only paid $0.40 for the thread, kind of wish I'd bought a few more.




The ladies in this store were so welcoming and when I said I worked in a quilt store in New York they immediately guessed it was The City Quilter.  They gave me a copy of their newsletter for bedtime reading and a map and list of Phoenix quilt stores which I thought was a really nice touch.  On top of that they gave me a 10% discount as I'm in a quilt guild - yep any quilt guild qualifies just show your membership card, and you can't get better than that.

I'm on the lookout for fabrics to make soft books for Grandson Oliver so these fabrics were just perfect.

Maisy Counts By Lucy Cousins for Andover Fabrics
Your Little World 13-74 and 13-75 for STOF

And I'm always stocking up on basics.

 
Citrus by Another Point of View basics for Windham Fabrics
Kaffe Fassett Spots for Westminster Fibers



Another lovely store, more about the machines and less fabric but still worthy of a visit.  Again friendly staff and I picked up another book fabric for Oliver.




Good range of fabric and I picked up these beauties.  Friendly staff and as soon as I walked in they told me all fabrics containing the colours yellow or gold had a 10% discount - which the green Jennifer Paganelli below qualified for, nice touch and obviously the colour on discount changes regularly.

 
Crazy Love PWJP065 Green by Jennifer Paganelli for Free Spirit
Anisa Pink Tonal Paisley for Hoffman
Michael Miller Moroccan Lattice


We really loved Phoenix and were quite sorry to leave, Simon has clients there so maybe I can tag along on another trip again before too long :D    



For details of other fabric, yarn, trim and notion stores that I've visited around the world along with the NYC stores I love, exhibitions and events I've attended and wonderful people I've been lucky to meet click the links below or in my sidebar :D



Follow on Bloglovin


Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only, no payment or commission is received on click-throughs and opinions are my own.






 

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed watching the pics and the virtual shopping too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Chrissie you took fabulous photos and looked like you had a marvelous time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks to me like your trip was a blast! I'm glad that you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you were able to visit Phoenix! We lived in southern Arizona for about 18 months, but frequently made trips to Phoenix and its environs. Taliesin West is also one of my all time favorites. There is something so special about that place and about his style of architecture. And oh, the desert landscape is just. so. different, isn't it?! Thank you for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really loved it there Lauren - that kind of loving somewhere where you look up property prices on the internet, lol! Seeing any of FLW's homes has been a long time ambition of mine and was def the highlight of our trip along with, as you say, the landscape. I do hope I get to go back again some day :D

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this post so much - I've never been to Arizona. Beautiful desert garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance Cynthia do go - the landscape is so different to anything I'd experienced before, just amazing :D

      Delete
  6. Isn't grand to travel to other places. I have been to that diner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my travels and I'm very lucky to travel quite often, isn't that diner just great - well I'm not that experienced in diners to be fair but I thought it was amazing - Chris :D

      Delete
  7. I've lived in Phoenix for 9 yrs and still haven't been to most of these places. Now I have a list of places to visit myself! 5 & Diner is delicious! I'm glad you made it to Oregano's. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice Zenia it was much appreciated, we had a blast :D

      Delete
  8. Glad you enjoyed the MIM, even if the England exhibit wasn't the best part! Next time I am down there, I'm planning to check out some of those fabric shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIM was such a good recommendation, thanks again and do visit the fabric shops, I only skimmed the surface!!! - Chris :D

      Delete
  9. I lived in Tempe for a few years and it was nice to see pictures of the Frank Lloyd Wright house and the huge saguaro cacti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just gorgeous there isn't it Deanna and I understand how it must have made you feel seeing the pics, I feel the same when I spot pics of England! - Chris :D

      Delete
  10. Thanks for coming to my last Fabulous Friday Party! Hope you can come this Friday for another Partyugs

    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.