teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Monday 28 July 2014

Handknit With Love


Remember this hat?


It's for my Grandson-to-be, Oliver, due in September and I posted about making the hat here.

This last weekend I finished up making a jumper to go with the hat.  

 

 It's from this book by Debbie Bliss - design it, knit it babies


Spoilt for choice I decided to make this simple square necked jumper.


I've used Adriafil Knitcol trends, superwash merino wool, colourway 57 - Botticelli Fancy again for the main - you might remember I bought this at Atelier Yarns on my last visit to San Francisco (you can read my post here) and the contrast is a leftover wool from my stash, Patons UK Double Knitting in light cream (no longer available). 


I'm still super in love with how the Adriafil Knitcol works up in a project - the Fair Isle/Jacquard style patterning created by the colour changes in the wool are fab and it's such fun to see how they work into the piece as you're creating the pattern.  I admit to starting both sleeves at the same point in the wool so the patterning is practically the same on each.

I've also given the jumper a go in the washing machine - yep that Merino wool is machine washable at 40 degrees and it came out looking and feeling just perfect, in fact all the pics in this post are taken post washing :D

Here's some pics of the details:


Side seam and my small label.


The back and that small label again.  I like the small details on this knit - the garter rib left unseamed is a great touch.


The square neckline is very easy to work and, as always, Debbie Bliss gives great instructions in a written pattern (I've always worked from written patterns not from charts as seems to be the trend these days).


Square neckline detail, with my large label and monkey buttons (also purchased on my last trip to San Fran at Britex Fabrics, you can read that post here).

I didn't think my pics were doing the jumper justice so, in the absence of yet-to-be Oliver I had to find another model.   Tatty and Watson are exactly the right size and, as you can see below, well up for the task but I thought better of it 


and went in search of another of my nest flown daughter, Flicky's, teddy bears.  

Having used Bedwyn Bear in two previous photo shoots,

here 

and here

I needed a much smaller bear this time around.


Step forward ... oh dear, I have to admit to not having a clue what this bear's called, but he performed admirably and I'm sure Flicky will be proud.


I think he looks pretty cute in his oversized jumper!


Some time in the Spring I'll be able to update this post with a pic of Oliver sporting his very own jumper and hat, and the thought of that makes me very happy.

These are for you Oliver, handknit with love by Grandma xxx


Featured On:


Follow on Bloglovin
 
 
   

     

33 comments:

  1. Love this mum - Oliver will look great in it! x
    P.S. His name is Sam ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jumper and hat are beautiful. I love the yarn and the little monkey buttons. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. The variegated yarn has knitted up so well; at first I thought it was fairisle. Your grandson will be warm and snug this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello how are you? I just saw your blog and it seems very nice, I have become a follower so as not to miss any entries. I invite you to visit my blog:
    http://awesomeneedles.blogspot.com.es/
    Hope you like it, greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable! Your grandson is going to look super cute on that jumper. Congratulations again on the soon-to-be new addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Teddy, he looks smashing in this tiny jumper. Your work is outstanding. Thanks for sharing your photos with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrissie it is just adorable and I'm sure you can't wait to see him wearing it. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is gorgeous Chrissie, what fun to have a new grandson on the way too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous - love the photos of bear with no name modelling them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Chrissie and I am in love with your model! I too have always knitted from a pattern but when I lived in Italy I was grateful that Italian patterns are in chart form as deciphering an Italian written pattern would have been beyond me! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't thought about it like that Lin - and there's lots of Japanese patterns out there that are fab but we'd have the same problems. For now I'll stick with patterns written in English!

      Delete
  11. Lovely colors and textures! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just adorable! And I am sure it's getting difficult waiting for Oliver to arrive! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, you're right we can't wait to see him but the waiting is so much more difficult for Ana (his Mum), summer isn't the most comfortable time to be ready to give birth in Spain! - Chris :D

      Delete
  13. The hat is cute, the jumper is amazing, and the teddy bear looks adorable all dressed up in it, as I'm sure your grandson son will too :)

    I am always in awe when I see hand-made things that look so professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! Just love the sweater set!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much ladies for your very kind observations on my work, made my day - Chris :D

      Delete
    3. My mom also finds cute little buttons like your monkeys to complete her baby and toddler sweaters.

      Delete
  14. That sweater is too cute! Thank you for sharing at The Submarine Sunday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sweater is gorgeous! You're making me want to get my needles out again. Thank you for linking up with #WakeUpWednesdayLinky Stop by this Wednesday to see if you've been featured.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a cute outfit and I love your model :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a triple threat: quilts, crochets and knits! What a beautiful little outfit for that very special baby. I admit to being a pretty fair at crochet but have to work on keeping my knitting tension even. On to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet outfit. I hope Oliver was able to wear it for many months.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super adorable sweater and cap set! And those monkey buttons are perfect. They make the sweater so special!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.