teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Sunday 24 February 2013

Selvedge Block and QAYG Quilting - The Something NEW Sampler: Week 6

A week of QAYG quilting on
  
 This week I have wrapped up all the Quilt As You Go (QAYG) quilting on the 9 blocks and added a 10th Selvedge block to finish my layout.


Block 10 - Selvedge Block
 I've wanted to try a Selvedge Block for ages so this seemed like a great opportunity to learn another technique and round the number of blocks up to 10 which would make the final layout easier.  This is quite appealing as it's now a QAYG quilt so I've decided to opt for a simple grid layout while I'm learning my new QAYG skills.

To make this selvedge block I spray basted the backing sheet to the batting and then sprayed more basting spray onto the top of the batting.  I then started laying my selvedge strips from the fabrics used in making this quilt onto the batting overlapping a finished edge over each raw edge.  The strips held firmly in place, thanks to the basting spray (my new favourite tool!) and then I quilted along the selvedges with very closely spaced lines making sure to catch down all the selvedge edges.

I loooovvve this block, I'm so glad I tried it and I love too that it records all the fabrics used in the quilt which is really neat. 




QAYG Details for Blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 8
(not necessarily in that order as I'm sick of fighting with html code each time I try to move things around!!!)

Block 1 - Bargello



Block 4 - Reverse Applique
You know I was so unsure about this block but I decided to do echo quilting around each reverse applique opening and in the end I've decided to keep it the final quilt layout.


Block 5 - Sashiko


 Block 2 - Scraptastic


Block 8 - Pinless Curves


Block 3 - Folded Block


and here's my plan for the final QAYG layout


and this is how the back will look
 For the back of each block I wanted to use a whole piece of each fabric included in the quilt topI was short of fabric for 3 of the blocks so I added strips of white to make them up to the correct size.  I'd only used 9 fabrics in total (well I have used white but I don't want a solid white block block) and I needed 10 so I 'made' fabric for the 10th block from the other 9 fabrics using the 'Block 2 - Scraptastic' method.

I just can't 'relax' into free motion quilting (FMQ) - I've followed all tips and advice, drinking a glass of wine, drinking two glasses of wine, drinking a bottle of wine, listening to great music. I've got an adjustable Tempur-Pedic chair and a Sew Ezi sewing table so my machine bed is level with my working surface, I have a Supreme Slider mat and a Quilt Halo ringSometimes I use my Bernina BSR on settings 1 and also 2 and sometimes I use my darning foot with the stitch set to 0 and the feed dogs down and then again sometimes with the feed dogs up (to keep the tension working) and the Supreme Slider in place.  The only thing I don't seem to be able to change is ME - I just can't relax while I'm fmqing and I've paid the price this weekend for all my work - I've got a frozen neck and shoulder so I couldn't sew yesterday and, although it's loosening a bit now, I think I should leave it alone today as well.  

Need a trip to my LQS today though to pick up some fabric to sash and bind the quilt.  Quite nervous about this next stage - I've read lots of great tutorials but just want to get on with trying it for myself now.

I'll be back with a finished quilt for you as soon as my neck and shoulder will let me!!!  




40 comments:

  1. I have loved seeing each new block appear - following a Bee block I am also a convert to selvedges - and all together these blocks are totally fabulous! What a great project x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gertie, it's been good fun and a great learning experience. It's too solid to be a 'wrap yourself up in it' quilt, more of a wall hanging - will probably give it to Tatty to play on, but I've learnt so much making it! :)

      Delete
  2. It's looking fabulous Chrissie! So sorry to hear about your back and neck problems though, not good. :-( I hope it sorts itself out soon so that you can return to your quilting. Some retail therapy at the City Quilter is in order I think! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't retail therapy the best, picked up some Essex Linens for my 'coffins' project and thread and sashing solids for this QAYG. Home in time for the Oscars Red Carpet and Ceremony, what a great day ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your blocks! I`ve been thinking of doing them myself, but where is the time for that I wonder! I think FMQ is unbelievable hard.
    I hope your neck will be OK tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Carin, my neck started to loosen on Sunday, though the pain was worse and then it was a bit better still on Monday so I tried to do some straight stitching for about an hour but it started everything off again so I stopped. It's still niggling today - I think I need a week off from the machine but there's too much I want to crack on with!

      Delete
  4. Well done. To me FMQ is huge adrenalin I don't relax while doing it, lol. I'm only a newbie so it might get better with time, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how it is for me along with lifelong striving for perfection!

      Delete
  5. Wow, these are all just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen - I'll be joining in Building Blocks Tuesday with them this week! :)

      Delete
  6. Love the selvedge block (also I misread birch at first!) and the FMQ looks brilliant! I'm tempted to try QAYG with my sampler blocks, so I'm watching with interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Flicky and I are both totally in love with that selvedge block and soooo easy :)

      Delete
  7. Your FMQ is amazing. I'm sorry your sore, but check it out! Isn't that beauty totally worth it? But no more sewing til you fell all better.
    Great work, Miss Chrissie
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin, I could do with you here to stop me sewing, it's a constant temptation, so much to do and the weeks just fly by :)

      Delete
  8. No way! I am so impressed with all of your blocks. I just finished basting mine last night and now I'm trying to decide how to quilt them all (I've decided that since the blocks are all so different, they need to be done QAYG). Seriously, yours look so great and now I have some fresh ideas for what to do with mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany, I've done a bit of the QAYG sashing now, I'll post about it when it's complete but you've got so many blocks with doing two of each. I do love that you did one according to the instructions and then your own interpretation for the other :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, you are just cruising along. That selvage block is so cool. I finished my Pile o' Fabric March blocks minus the quilting. How are you doing on yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Skillbuilder has fallen by the wayside for the last 4 weeks. I've made my first two blocks but not the second two and I haven't fmq'd anything yet!!! The Something NEW quilt took over and with it's March deadline I've put all my focus on that for now and I've told myself I'll catch up with Skillbuilder when this is done! I'm behind with my Bee Block as well and I'm usually one of the first to send them back. Standards are slipping!!! :)

      Delete
  10. Your blocks are fabulous Chrissie, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy - need to catch up with Skillbuilder next! :)

      Delete
  11. Your blocks are fabulous! Sorry to hear your neck and shoulders are now paying the prize for creating such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha, it's such a drag when all I want to do is sew! That fmq gets me every time!!! :)

      Delete
  12. Its beautiful, and inspiring, stopping by from Anything Goes

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing project! It looks like so much fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't believe all the techniques I've learnt in a few short weeks Deb, the hop has been such a motivation :)

      Delete
  14. You've done SO much - fabulous. Love the selvedge block and all that FMQ - so many variations. Hope your neck gets better soon - I have to keep reminding myself to drop my shoulders (as well as the feed dogs)! I love quilting to a good waltz and do tend to make myself have regular breaks to shake out my arms (and give my eyes a rest too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of waltzing while quilting - I'll try that one! I've finished the quilt today, I've done a little each day - it was just straight stitching to finish it, and I've had a few sessions with the chiropractor - neck not fully recovered yet though :)

      Delete
  15. You have done a fabulous job- I am planning to work on my QAYG on mine as well. I love the different fabrics used on the back too that is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie, the thing I found with QAYG is that you have to plan the order of the blocks and their backing right from the start (unless you use the same backing on each block). That's a lot of planning up front when for so many planning the backing is a bit of an after thought. I feel like I've been backtracking all the way with this quilt, working out what to do with it towards the end once I'd see all the blocks. :)

      Delete
  16. The first and second blocks are AWESOME! Those are my faves. I find that I relax while FMQing for a short time,but need to take lots of breaks here and there or ELSE lol! This looks like such a fun QAYG altogether though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thanks for your lovely comment. I keep consciously putting my shoulders down but within minutes (maybe even seconds) I'm back totally engrossed in my sewing and low and behold my shoulders are back up around my ears! :)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful blocks and I really love the selvage one! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That selvedge edge block is quite a favourite of mine now Connie. I'm all set to make more fabric from the selvedges now and whip up a whole quilt or a bag or something - there's just not enough time in a day!

      Delete
  18. Very impressive! Love the colors you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, these blocks are fun! I love the fabrics you used. I saw another set from this series on someone's flickr page, and it's really cool to see how differently these blocks can come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite amazing how different this set look depending on the fabric and interpretation isn't it. Looking forward to seeing how everyone puts the final blocks together now :)

      Delete
  20. Great job, Chrissie! I felt the same way for my first three FMQ quilts. Just keep practicing the FMQ -- it will start to feel more natural soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.