teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Sunday 10 February 2013

Anything Wills & Kate Can Do ...

This week has been incredibly productive and exciting on the quilting front but I can't share any of it with you right now.  I can tell you that I've been testing a quilt pattern and I finished the final binding late into Thursday night/Friday morning.  I've taken lots of photos along the way, even of a section of the quilt that once sashed, quilted and bound revealed an offensive symbol that took me 8 hours yesterday to undo and remake.  It's true to say that I've learnt a lot in making this quilt and as soon as I'm allowed to tell you all about it you can be sure that I will!

 On Thursday I took time off from 'the test quilt' to pop along to an English Paper Pieced Hexagons class with Judy Doenias at my LQS in Manhattan.  I learnt this form of paper piecing at school in England when I was around 8 years old but haven't used it since and, as everyone's going Hexie crazy I thought I'd do a refresher session.  

2" Coffin design by Judy Doenias

 I haven't taken a class with Judy before and she was a great tutor, explaining everything very clearly and thoroughly, with lots of opportunity to ask questions and individual help for those needing that bit extra. 

Here's my efforts - not much to show so far I'm afraid
2" Coffin design using Denyse Schmidt Free Spirit Chicoppe prints (freebie from Quilters Take Manhattan)

I'm not sure if this is something I'll be doing lots of - I can see that it's a great travel project still I like my crochet for that.  I can appreciate the workmanship involved but it's a lot of effort for not much output.  I'll finish what I've started but there's other techniques that grab my interest more - who knows though and I never say never.

In other news my daughter Flicky has put in a request for a Chef's Hat and Apron to give as a gift to a friend - can't give more details as it's going to be a surprise (has anyone else noticed the theme of 'secrecy' running through most of this post and wondered yet, as I am, if there's any point in me blogging anything this week and even less point in you reading it if I do!!!).  This time I can treat you to a peep at the fabrics she's chosen.

Who wouldn't love those ostriches?!
Olive the Ostrich by Laurie Wisbrun for Robert Kaufman/Green with white spots - dear STELLA
/CHILDREN at play by sarahjane for michael miller fabric

and while she was wandering around our LQS Flicky spotted these two organic fabrics on the 'Sale' shelf and promptly nabbed them.  She's requested some pillowcases to take off to university with her - she's already mentally decorating her room there.

I'm actually using other fabrics from this range for the Something NEW Sampler
Avalon JAY-CYN designs for birch fabrics
Flicky's been offered an unconditional place to study for an MA (Hons) in Modern History at The University of St Andrews, Scotland and if it's good enough for Wills and Kate then it might just pass muster with our Flicky too.  She hasn't been to Scotland before so just to be certain the two of us are flying over during Spring Break to check it out.

So the plan is: two nights in St Andrews where we'll be lucky if there's anything to see other than people carrying bags of metal sticks, wearing Rupert Bear trousers and pastel coloured, diamond patterned jumpers; then 2 nights in Glasgow where we're going to see the English comedian Jimmy Carr; and finally 2 nights in Edinburgh where we're going to see the Russian State Ballet performing Swan Lake - well we have an extremely diverse cultural appreciation if nothing else!

University of St Andrews, Scotland
Anyone paying full attention will have noticed that I'm now running one week behind on The Something New Sampler and also the Skill Builder BOM.  I'm hoping to get myself up-to-date over the next couple of days and I'll be posting my progress - let's hope Flicky doesn't find me any more projects in the meantime :)


Follow on Bloglovin

 

30 comments:

  1. OMg, how jealous am I that Flick gets to Go to St Andrews! Practically makes her a member of the royal family!
    Lovely projects you have on the go... or at least lovely colours :-)
    I have to amdit I stared at your paper peicing for w minute looking for how it could make a rude symbol *blonde moment* lol
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me laugh Erin - I'll let you know when I post photos of the real 'rude symbol' ;) When we lived in England my eldest son knew one of the Queen's granddaughters - does that count too?! Flicky is following in Kate's footsteps, as we're from Marlborough and Kate went to Marlborough College and now St Andrews - maybe Flicky will meet her own prince? :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Flicky! And I do love those ostriches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're thrilled for her, only hope she likes it when she visits though as I think it'll be more like our home town of Marlborough, England than NYC and I think she's become quite the city girl now. I can't wait to work with the ostriches but I'm off to DC for the long weekend. Flicky has just told me that she needs the apron and chef's hat ready by next Friday which means I have only next Wednesday to make them both - I only hope the instructions I'm working from are really good and I fly through making them! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your EPP and love doing it too.. I am behind on the same 2 projects.. Today I am hopping over from Anything Goes.. I am also having a blog party and giveaways on my blog!! Enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, my week has been crazy and I'm only just getting around now to replying to comments. I've just popped over to your blog and see that I'm too late to join in the party :( It looks like it all went well for you and congrats on your 1 year anniversary :)

      Delete
  4. Ostriches! lol they were adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what you could be working on??!! I love the EPP, and yes v. slow, but great for in front of the telly. Big congratulations to Flicky, such fab news. Love those ostriches too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky Sarah, with my sewing room at one end of the living room I can machine quilt while watching telly, if I do ever make it to the sofas I tend to crochet, reply to blog comments, sketch or Zentangle. I am going to take my coffins with me to DC this weekend - let's see if my love affair with EPP starts there!

      Delete
  6. I love my hexagon project. And yes, it is one of the things you can do when you can't or don't want to sit at a machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stella, I'm taking it with me on my travels to DC this weekend, so maybe I'll feel differently once I get further on with my project :)

      Delete
  7. How exciting, you're off to my neck of the woods! Well done Flick on getting into St Andrews. I bet you'll have lots of fun on your Scottish adventure- if only I was still there to show you round Edinburgh! Oh and Swan Lake performed by the Russian State Ballet- I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh aren't I just? And I wouldn't mind visiting where you are now too! Wish you were going to be there Juliet, that would be such fun. I know Edinburgh and Glasgow a little, when I had my own interior design company I worked on a fabulous project in Edinburgh for one of the founders of the internet website IMDB.com. That was a long time ago though and it will be fun to be back. I'm sure I'll be sharing photos along the way! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, you're one busy bee! Was St. Andrews one of her picks? I don't remember... You guys will have an exciting spring break for sure! I'm so jealous! Your EPP project looks really lovely, hope you'll find the courage to get going! I use plastic instead of paper, but the technique is about the same and to me it's addicting. Maybe because we spend a lot of time in the car when we're driving to FL, who knows? Looking forward to apron/hat picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kati, yes it was one of her five, I'm so thrilled for her - though when she phoned me with the news I did ask her was she sure she'd read the word 'unconditional' correctly - not that she isn't brilliant but I just never expected an unconditional offer from St Andrews! Taking the EPP on the train with me up to DC this weekend - I'm hoping to be totally in love with it by the time I return. Flicky now tells me that she needs the hat and apron ready by next Friday which only gives me next Wednesday to make them - heaven help me! I'll try to squeeze in time to take photos along the way but if things get really tight it might just have to be a photo of the recipient wearing them!!! Have a great weekend too :)

      Delete
  9. Judy's EPP is amazing! I saw it in person yesterday. It is a charm....no repeated fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible isn't it Helen, love your blog post about it too :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice, even with all the secrets! I hope you have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your EPP project. I have never tried elongated hexagons, they give a beautiful pattern. Can't wait to see what you make with them. Congratulation to your daughter, sounds like she is going to start a great adventure. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha what an exciting time in Flicky's life isn't it? For the EPP I'm limiting myself to making a piece purely with the 4 Denyse Schmidt samples that I've got (fancy that you're working with some of the same fabrics!) so it can't get too large before I have to stop - I'm thinking I'll add them to an essex linen pouch or bag. We'll see how far I get with the project this weekend on my travels to DC :)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations to your daughter! Love the coffin hexie EPP project. Much more interesting than the usual hexies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, the unconditional offer has certainly taken the exam success pressure off here which is most welcome, though don't get me wrong, Flicky is still working her socks off as always but it's coming from a different place now without all the associated worry. I loved the coffins when I saw them, I thought they were a bit different too so decided to go with them, plus Judi's piece is so amazing and not a single fabric is repeated! :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Chrissie,
    I really like this format of your hexies. I love to do EPP and sure will give your hexies a try.
    Your colour gradient is marvelous.
    Hugs Marle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid can't take credit for that beautiful, colourful piece of EPP, I only wish I could! - it's the work of Judy Doenias, tutor at The City Quilter, isn't it just marvellous? :D

      Delete
  14. Chrissie,
    You will not believe it but I knew your blog and already follow you on Bloglovin!
    His works and pictures are very beautiful!
    I enjoyed talking with you! Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Soon I'll post the work made ​​with fabrics from The City Quilter!
    I returned this week to Brazil. When I go back to New York, I will be happy to see her!
    Kisses

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny Regina! I'm following you too and look forward very much to seeing what you make next. I hope you will be back to NYC soon with your daughter, be sure to let me know you're coming so we can say "hi" again :D

      Delete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.